Established in 1956, the Mercedes-Benz Club of America has approximately 20,260 active members and 9238 additional household members in 12 regions which are comprised of 80+ local sections throughout the U.S. and Canada. Each region is administered by a regional director who is responsible for assisting and inspiring the sections in the region. The regional director also fosters the formation of new sections, co-ordinates regional activities and represents the constituents as a member of the national board of directors. Hundreds of events are organized by sections, from social gatherings to tech sessions, from car shows to driving events. Most sections publish a newsletter of information and events and each section has its own officers and by-laws.
In 1985, MBCA finished construction of a new club-owned building in Colorado Springs which now serves as the national headquarters. The national business office staff provides a vital and personalized link between club members and the club.
Prior to 1952, only 34 Mercedes-Benz automobiles were registered in the United States, but enthusiasts were hard at work to form a club. Dr. Milton J. Allen of Summit, New Jersey, petitioned Daimler-Benz in Stuttgart for permission to use the name and trademark for this purpose in 1955. Concurrently, a group of Chicago members of the British Mercedes-Benz Club formed their own organization. Both groups established clubs and were chartered in 1956.
The Easterners were joined by a newly formed Western group, received factory sanction, adopted the name Mercedes-Benz Club of America, Inc., and grew to 500 members in 19 states by 1957. In 1959, they merged with the Midwestern group, forming a truly national club.
Although the Mercedes-Benz Club of America is a not-for-profit organization, and is not an affiliate of Mercedes-Benz USA or Daimler-Benz AG, the Club does enjoy the unique position of being sanctioned by MBUSA. Since MBCA’s inception, a Mercedes-Benz representative has provided liaison in support of the club’s functions, activities, and business affairs. In addition, Mercedes-Benz and Daimler-Benz have supplied generous quantities of historical and technical information and assistance. The club is very proud of this relationship and its permission to use the name and trademark of Mercedes-Benz.